Friday, September 26, 2008

Oscar-bound Aamir leaves King Khan title to SRK

"Shahrukh Khan will get upset if I am called the king of Bollywood,'' said Aamir Khan when told that he was the only actor from India to be nominated for the Oscars and that he should be called the original king of Bollywood. 
                  Addressing a press meet about the plans to promote his film Taare Zameen Par for the Oscar awards in March, the actor said, "I will try my best and make sure that the film is watched by most members of the Academy. I also plan to hire a good publicist to help create awareness about the film in the American media as well as the Academy members.'' 

Responding to a statement that Maharashtrians have been lucky for him as both the Oscar nominations involved Marathi-speaking people such as Amol Gupta (TZP) and Ashutosh Gowariker (Lagaan), Khan said. 

The actor replied, "I am born and brought up in Mumbai and therefore I am Marathi too. So, I am lucky for myself.'' Asked about his views on the ban of films in the state on the language issue, the actor said, "Issues like this are politically motivated and if any leader is trying to divide us by saying he is from a different caste and different religion, we have to be careful of them. He is not talking in the interest of the country. So, we should choose leaders who are progressive and bring peace and love in the society.'' 

The actor was asked what lessons he learnt from Lagaan's Oscar nomination and why the film failed to get an award. He reacted, "Lagaan did not fail. There were films that were better than Lagaan. The best of world cinema comes to the Oscars and, in my personal experience, I know a lot of the academy members had liked my film.'' 

Khan felt that TZP would connect with the international audience. "I remember I had attended a function in America where the screening of the film Rang De Basanti was done. All of them loved the film, which is a clear indication that our films have been engaging the international audience. Also, I am quite sure that this time, too, the film will connect with them and I hope most of the academy members are parents and will be able to connect with my film. I know my film will make people cry. I hope to make India proud this time.'' 

Meanwhile, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has already received submissions from 16 countries out of the 96 countries participating in the foreign film category section. 

No comments: